5 Things you need to know about misophonia.
Misophonia is the word used to describe an unusual hearing problem. Maybe you have experienced it yourself.
- It happens when a specific person or persons makes a certain sound or sounds and you find yourself experiencing very strong anger or total disgust.
- These sounds are often soft eg swallowing, breathing, sniffing, eating or a repetitive sound like a pen tapping.
- It tends to emerge in late childhood or ear teenage years.
- Misophonia was only identified as a condition in the late 1990s. There is no data on how prevalent it is. The online forums in the last few years have raised awareness of this condition suggesting it is more widespread than has previously been acknowledged.
- There are treatment therapy programs to help you if you or anyone you know experience these symptoms.
This article was first published at hearingcareprofessionals.com.au
Nolene Nielson is an experienced Brisbane Audiologist whose independent audiology practice is part of a new direction in hearing health care. Nolene is one of the few audiologist in Australia with extensive experience with misophonia.